Now a days we are all more or less habituated with making online transactions. Right? and why not after all it’s the age of E-Commerce and E-Commerce has redefined our entire shopping experience by adding speed, comfort & choice. Whether you are a freelancer who want to buy his hosting service from a hosting provider or a teenage college going student who are really fascinated about the latest discount offers on eBay or let’s consider you are a not so tech savvy person by nature but you buy your railway tickets via online. So whoever you are some point of time we all make online transactions in many ways.
But remember, everything in this world comes with a price and here in online transactions the price is the associated security measures that you need to care about. Because when you are purchasing something online, credit or debit card is the easiest way to do it. By using it you need to enter your card number, cvv code etc. If you are not careful about the basic security measures of using your card then the card data can be compromised. Do you know how many credit frauds are occurring each year. Now you may ask, shall I stop buying online? definitely not. Why should you stop using this great service when you can control this by taking some basic measures. Don’t worry you don’t need to be an internet security expert to make secure online transactions.If you just follow some steps carefully which i have discussed in this post then you can avoid this type of problem from your side.
Here are the security measure that you should follow:
- Avoid public places: It means when you are buying something or making any online transaction strictly avoid public places like cyber cafes. Because in those places the same machines are used by lots of people day by day. They use different types of storage devices like pen drives, memory chips & many other external storage device. most of the time they don’t even scan there devices in hurry, so if there are any types of malicious program in those devices those directly effects in that computer. One more problem is sometimes I have seen in some Cyber Cafes (not all), they don’t use updated antivirus software which is a big issue in exploiting online security. So my suggestion is when your work is related with any type of financial transaction avoid places like these.
- Use updated and genuine antivirus software in your own machine: You should always use genuine and updated security program in your home machines. because we all know that prevention is better than cure. I mean it because it’s a quite serious issue. When we get ill we take medicines or go to the doctor. Then why should we take a chance with our computer. When it is one of the most useful tool in our day to day work. So be cautious.
- Regular Security check: Run a regular scan or security check in your computer, then if any thing occurs unconsciously then it will be solved without any further damage. So make a schedule according your choice and run security check.
- Always scan external devices: Whenever you are using any type of external storage device like pen drives, external hard drive always remember to scan it thoroughly.
- Keep your passwords secure: Write down all of your passwords, pins, security codes in a piece of paper. Don’t save it in your computer and never use remember me option for any type of sensitive data. Make it a habit.
- Use virtual keyboard: When you are entering any sensitive data always use virtual keyboard. because it is more secure than your physical keyboard.
So follow these steps and have secure online transactions. If you have any more ideas about basic security measures regarding online transactions then share it.
N.B.: Maintaining online security is a very critical & complex issue from a developer’s or security expert’s perspective. Here above mentioned measures are from an user’s end only. If you are a normal user who makes online transaction for different need then you can easily follow these steps.